It has been a while since I have posted a new recipe on here but that is what happens when I am traveling 2.5 weeks out of the month!!
For those of you who haven’t been keeping up with my adventures on Instagram I spent the first week of May (including Cinco de Mayo!!) in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with a friend where we soaked up all the sun we could get and went on an amazing excursion to Las Caletas. Tell me those hammocks don’t just scream relaxation??
We had a great balcony in our room and could see the ocean!
We stayed at the all-inclusive Riu Palace Pacifico. It was a great resort with tasty food, strong drinks and a wonderful friendly staff. I would definitely go back again!
After Mexico I came home for a week and then re-packed my bags for Austin, TX. I work full time as an Event Marketing Manager for CLEAResult (along with being a Beachbody coach) and our company is based out in Austin. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite cities full of REALLY good food, drinks, and plenty of places to catch some live music.
After a few days in our office and doing some site visits for an upcoming event my friend’s flew in so we could celebrate Jaime’s bachlorette! We got a really cute Airbnb, had amazing meals and cocktails at Launderette, Banger’s Sausage House & Beer Hall, Peche, Fixe, Torchy’s Tacos, swam in the Deep Eddy pool, and spent fun nights on Rainey Street and Dirty Sixth.
We are all exhausted this week but it was well worth it! We had SO much fun and loved celebrating the Future Mrs. Fresh ❤
Now I am home for just a few days and it will be time to pack my bags again on Friday!
This time I am heading to Newport, RI to spend Memorial Day with friends and work on keeping my tan going that I got in Mexico a few weeks ago! Newport holds a very special place in my heart as I have rented a house there for the ENTIRE summer for the past 3 years. While times have changed and we can’t all commit to a full summer, Newport feels like a 2nd home and I am looking forward to the weekends I do have planned there this year. Maybe one day I will own a home of my own there and will enjoy countless summers by the ocean with family and friends.
During my short week home I have been craving the delicious tacos and burritos I ate while in Mexico and Austin. While the ones I ate during my travels were tasty I definitely overdid it on the carbs and was feeling sluggish and bloated from eating food I didn’t cook myself.
Luckily my nutrition plan gives me a lot of options to get creative in the kitchen while still cooking clean meals that help me get closer to my goal of being the healthiest and happiest I can be!
For those of you who don’t know I follow the eating plan from the 21 Day Fix which uses a simple color-coded portion control system (YES you can have carbs and even wine!) paired with Shakeology. I focus on clean eating with nothing processed and make sure to get plenty of protein, veggies, water and 3o minutes of exercise a day.
Switch over to clean eating, I promise you will be blown away at how tasty the food is and how much you DON’T miss the processed food that just weighs you down!! I started eating this way in September 2014 and have lost 20lbs and 12.5 inches (and counting) and plan to never look back! If changing up your nutrition and/or incorporating simple fitness into your lifestyle is something you have been wanting to do let’s chat! Leave a comment on this post ⬇ or email me at 💌 emily.goodmanBB [at] gmail [dot] com.
Summer is HERE so why wait any longer?? 👙 ☀
This recipes is great because it is very versatile. Like your food spicy choose a hot salsa and add extra cayenne. Not of fan of heat go mild! Get creative with what you mix in. Black beans would be a great addition, I just didn’t have any on hand when I made this. Really despise ground turkey? Swap it for ground chicken or beef.
I do suggest making your own taco seasoning. By making your own you can control the amount of salt. Store bought seasonings tend to have A LOT of salt and it is just so unnecessary. Check out my recipe for homemade taco seasoning. It makes more than you need for this recipe so just store the extra in a empty spice jar or small tupperware to use in future dishes.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1lb lean ground turkey
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice, cook in advance according to package directions
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups salsa, no sugar added (mild or hot – your choice!)
- 1 ear of corn, kernels cut off the cob (or ¾ cups of canned or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning (see link above for the homemade taco seasoning recipe)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, low-sodium and fat-free
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- *Optional toppings: Plain greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, additional tomatoes and salsa, chives or green onions, avocado, lettuce
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and ground turkey and cook until the turkey is no longer pink and the onions have become translucent.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add the cooked rice, diced tomatoes, salsa, and corn. Stir together and slowly add the chicken broth. Lower the heat and let cook for 5-6 minutes until the tomatoes have started to break down. If it starts to dry up you can add more broth.
- Season with salt and pepper. You can serve this as is or garnish with the toppings of your choice (examples listed above).
- 21 Day Fix container equivalents for a 1 cup serving: 1 red, 1 yellow, 0.5 purple, 0.5 green
- For the greek yogurt and cheese pictured I would add an additional: 0.5 red and 0.5 blue
- I do not count the olive oil because each serving has such a minimal amount